↑ Return to Our School

History

Manland opened in September 1939, having been delayed by the outbreak of the 2nd World War. 363 children started at the school, both evacuees and local children and at times during the war years they had to attend school on alternate days. Air raid warnings occurred daily during 1940-41.

In March 1953 silver birch trees were planted along the road edge of the playing field to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. All children were presented with Coronation mugs.

In 1955 the number of children on roll reached 569. Old classrooms in Victoria Road were refurbished and used for 3 classes from Manland until July 1965. A new access road was made from Sauncey Avenue around 1970 (previously vehicular access was from the neighbouring secondary school). The kitchen was also completed so the children could eat in the hall instead of the classrooms. The building of the Lea Primary School allowed Manland to become a one form entry school.